by Carrie Adams
Can one person make an impact? Could that one person be you?
According to breastcancer.org, here is what we are facing:
- About 1 in 8 women in the United States (12%) will develop invasive breast cancer over the course of her lifetime.
- In 2010, an estimated 207,090 new cases of invasive breast cancer were expected to be diagnosed in women in the U.S., along with 54,010 new cases of non-invasive (in situ) breast cancer.
- For women in the U.S., breast cancer death rates are higher than those for any other cancer, besides lung cancer.
- Besides skin cancer, breast cancer is the most commonly diagnosed cancer among U.S. women.
- More than 1 in 4 cancers in women (about 28%) are breast cancer.
- In 2010, there were more than 2.5 million breast cancer survivors in the U.S.
October is Breast Cancer Awareness month and our Spartan Sprint in Marseilles, IL will be benefiting the Chicagoland Area Affiliate of Susan G. Komen For The Cure. We have designated heats for Survivors, a special t-shirt & bumper sticker purchase, as well as some other cool “pink” stuff for the race.
In addition to our Mid-West event page sporting some serious pink graphics, Spartan Race has also set up a special fundraising page with100% of the proceeds going to Chicagoland Area Affiliate of SGK. You don’t have to be registered for the race to donate so even if you can’t make the race, you can benefit the cause.
From our Spartan Chicks to our Spartans, Sparta supports, respects, and promotes our women. Spartans give generously… Find out in Illinois how powerful that generosity can be. One person can make a difference.
Our Spartan Women in Action! Watch how Spartan women are helping define the sport with their strength and determination.