WOD for Monday, March 4th, 2012 presented by Gaspari Nutrition
~By James Villepigue CSCS & Hobie Call
Hard Core Strength Boosting & High-Endurance Workout
WOD Muscle Group Focus: Legs/Shoulders/Triceps
It’s Monday and you should be raring to get right in to today’s workout.
In today’s Burst Bouts workout we thoroughly explain each and every one of the exercises for you.
Please set your GymBoss Timer to 35 seconds work time and to 12 seconds of rest time.
This particular work-to-rest ratio should be used as follows:
- Work time — use a moderately heavy weight and maintain perfect form throughout the duration.
- Rest time – catch your breath and quickly get to your next Exercise Burst…
Here are today’s Spartan Exercises…
Strength based Burst Bouts Portion – 35/12 W-T-R
- Sumo Squat & Shoulder Press – Feet double hip width apart – as you squat down, one end of both db’s are positioned up on front of shoulders – as you stand back up, press db’s up until arms are fully extended.
- Triceps Kickbacks – Stand straight with chest out, shoulders pulled back, maintain a lumbar curve in your lower back and keep those abs tight – Bend over at hips while maintaining the above posture and bring tops of arms up and parallel to the sides of your body and pin them there – let the bottoms of your arms hang, with db’s in hand – extend at the elbows and contract the triceps muscles forcefully.
- Step Ups – Holding db’s in hand, stand up straight with chest out, shoulders pulled back and down and abs tight – place one foot flat in the middle of bench and the other flat on the floor – press the foot on the bench straight into the bench and let that leg’s muscles stand you up – do not allow the foot/leg on the ground to assist in the step up…only the foot/leg up on the bench is working – alternate legs every rep.
- Lateral Raises – Feet are hip width apart and you are standing straight, holding db’s in hand – chest is out, shoulders are pulled back and down and abs are tight – With elbows just slightly bent, drive the arms straight out to the sides of your body – make sure that the medial Deltoids are the muscles responsible for the driving force and not momentum.
- Bent Over Lateral Raises – Stand straight with chest out, shoulders pulled back, maintain a lumbar curve in your lower back and keep those abs tight – Bend over at hips while maintaining the above posture and now let your arms hang straight down and bring them close to one another with palms facing each other – Now just like with the Lateral Raise, drive the arms out, but this time up (the angle has changed because you’re bent over, see?) – make sure that the muscles responsible for that driving force are the rear Deltoids, which are positioned directly behind your front shoulder muscles.
- Walking Lunges – Stand straight holding two db’s, with feet close to one another – stick your chest out, bring your shoulders back and down, and keep those abs tight – step one foot way out in front of you and slowly roll from heel-to-toes as you lunge in – you want to step out far enough so that the knee is kept beyond the toes – lower your body as far as you can without allowing your opposite leg’s knee to touch the ground – The back leg/foot are only used to balance – the lunging leg is the one doing all the work – as you step up & out of the lunge, make sure to allow that front leg to do all the work.
- Close Grip Bench Press – grab a pair of db’s and sit at the edge of a flat positioned bench – Now, lay back with the db’s and keep the bottoms of the arms pinned tight against your sides and the tops of your arms held vertical with your palms facing each other, in toward your midline – Now engage the triceps muscles and press the weight/arms up, making sure that the triceps are the muscles responsible for the movement.
- Upright Row into Calf Raise – Stand straight holding two db’s in front of your body with your palms facing your thighs – feet are hip width apart – stick your chest out, bring your shoulders back and down, and keep those abs tight – Make sure to keep the db’s slightly apart from each other – Now, lead with your elbows, as you lift your arms up straight up (keep the db’s about an inch away from your torso to reduce any shoulder shearing force)- Let the hands hang down and bring the db’s up to chin level, focusing on letting the shoulders do all the work – make sure to keep head straight and level and avoid momentum – at the top of the movement, stand straight up on the balls of your feet and engage those calf muscles.
- Narrow Squats – Stand straight holding two db’s at your sides, with feet just less that hip width apart – stick your chest out, bring your shoulders back and down, maintain a lumbar curve in your lower back and keep those abs nice and tight – Now stick your butt out and emulate the action of sitting back into a chair…this action will ensure that you’re sitting back versus crouching down, where the knees will pass the toes – keep your head up and level and keep the stimulation in the leg muscles.
- Swimmers – Stand straight with chest out, shoulders pulled back, maintain a lumbar curve in your lower back and keep those abs tight – Bend over at hips while maintaining the above posture and allow the arms to hang down at your sides – maintain just a slight bend at the elbows and lock it there – now, move only from the shoulder joints, as you drive the full arms straight up – because you are bent over, gravity will be pushing those weights down and your latissimus Dorsi (back) muscles, rear Deltoid muscles and Triceps muscles will all become engaged – I want your to focus mostly on the back & triceps muscles, as you drive those arms up in a rhythmic motion – You’re definitely going to feel this one!
1 Minute Rest
Perform 3 total Bouts = 24.89 Minutes
Cardio Based Bursts Bout Portion- 25/10 W-T-R
- Superman Back Extension
- Jumping Rope
- High Knee Run
- Jab, Mix, Hook, Uppercut
Perform 3 Bouts = 7 Minutes
Today’s Total Burst Bouts Time = 31.89 Minutes
Your Burst Bouts recap:
- For that strength based Burst Bouts portion, set your GymBoss Timer to 35/12. Perform 3 total Bouts.
- For that cardio based Burst Bouts, set the GymBoss to 25/10 and perform 3 Bouts.
Grab the following gear to lose the most from today’s Burst Bouts Workout:
The Gymboss Interval Timer
James Villepigue & Hobie Call