by Carrie Adams
What does a Pineapple, Medusa’s Challenge, and Cheesy Fries have in common? They’ll all get you in shape if you do them the Spartan Group Exercise way. They are aptly named workouts, just three of many that are included in the Spartan Coaching program and Spartan Group Exercise (SGX) being offered to fitness professionals who wish to teach Spartan style in their clubs and facilities. In the emerging sport of obstacle racing, Spartan Race HQ is often inundated with questions on how to prepare and also from those who want to become a part of our movement and our way of coaching athletes for Spartan glory at one of our races. According to Spartan Coaches, “Trainers work at the circus. Coaches build better humans.”
Want to hear more?
Dr. G, the creator of Spartan Coaching and SGX who has competed in the Death Race four times, by the way, developed the program and has been using it with our own Chris Davis on his weight loss journey and his movement towards completing the Spartan Ultra Beast. He explains this new concept of SGX and how you can get involved in the movement.
What is SGX?
Spartan Group Exercise (SGX) is the most unique group exercise program in the world. For the first time in group exercise history, an individual’s true purpose and motivation is at the forefront of design for a large scale fitness program. SGX is designed to create an exhilarating and community driven group atmosphere of fitness, nutrition, and performance that optimizes individual performance in Spartan Races, as well as daily life.
SGX utilizes a unique, independently developed strategy of periodization that allows specific aspects of training, fitness, and nutrition to be targeted at various times throughout the year, while never sacrificing a shred of the well-rounded physical preparedness you demand each day.
SGX is about changing your mind, body, and life from the inside out. SGX prepares you for life! It is not about curling, running or biking, it is about pushing, pulling, jumping, stretching, breathing and sweating. Superficial motivations need not investigate further, intrigued minds are cautiously welcomed.
For the Fitness Pro:
SGX begins with a two-day instructional workshop where you will gain the foundational knowledge necessary to successfully run SGX at your health club or business. Included in this two day seminar are:
- An in depth interpretation of The Seven Pillars of Spartan Training.
- Complete needs analysis for the Spartan Race competitor.
- Introduction to SGX program design for optimal performance in Spartan Races.
- Nutritional guidelines including how to periodize nutritional strategies based on the current training.
- Hands-on application and lecture
- Written and practical examination to prove that you possess the knowledge, skills, and abilities to carry out the SGX mission.
- 16 hrs. of continuing education credit.
- The rest and likely the most valuable take home lessons cannot be itemized by a bullet point.
- Current CPR Certification
- Current Accredited Fitness Certification