When we made the devastating announcement yesterday that Sunday racing would be cancelled, we were just as upset as our Sunday athletes. After 48 hours and a lot of negotiating, we have an opportunity for some disappointed Spartans to experience race day glory and earn their coveted Spartan Finisher Medals. This opportunity is extended ONLY to registered athletes for Sunday’s waves of racing. Here is the letter from Joe DeSena, Spartan Race owner.
Dear Sunday Amesbury Spartans,
This is Joe DeSena, owner of Spartan Race and one of the Founders. We’ve heard your cries to run and we’re here to make it happen. No one was more disappointed than we were at the forced cancellation of Sunday’s event. And as Spartans, we take on challenges and overcome obstacles. Irene is one tough obstacle but we are resilient. We are Spartans!
I am emailing you directly regarding a special offer to run this weekend in response to the cancelled Sunday race. After much deliberation and due to rising safety concerns, the State of Massachusetts is shutting down access into and out of the venue on Sunday making a race on that day impossible but we have come up with an additional opportunity we are offering to the first 250 responders from Sunday’s Race heats.
Race with the Founders Heat: We are offering a one heat shot at a special Spartan Course and you’ll get to run with the Spartan Race Founders. This heat was given some conditions we have to meet:
1. We have managed to negotiate a single heat of racing to take place Saturday,August 27th at 6 AM. There will be no volunteers available at this time and no bussing. Be prepared to arrive at 5 AM sharp to ensure you are there on time.
2. Public Safety is allowing us entry of 250 people for this heat. Only the racers on the list will be allowed entry. Read all the instructions below to find out how to get on the list.
3. YOU MUST HAVE YOUR SUNDAY WAIVER IN ORDER TO RUN.
4. There is one heat broken into five groups of 50 spaced 5 minutes apart. No chips will be available and it will be non-competitive.
6. Bring everything you might need. Onsite at that hour, we can’t guarantee that we’ll have food, water, or any other common race amenities set up. Volunteers will be limited if there are any.
7. We recommend you have a head lamp or a flashlight.
8. No one is required to run this heat as a condition of your original registration and the cancellation. Safety is our primary concern. You will still be entered into next year’s Sunday Race, so if you are unable or unwilling to join us at Saturday morning.
9. Saturday 6 AM runners WILL get a finisher medal.
If you’re interested you have to email us: email@example.com with the following information. The first 250 to respond with the necessary information are in the heat. No non-Sunday registrants qualify for this special event. Please do not call Spartan HQ, our staff is onsite in Amesbury and won’t be able to answer your calls.
Emergency Phone Number:
Come ready to run! 5 AM sharp meet at the parking lot.
Please note that in hurricane conditions we are experiencing, we are at the mercy of the State of Massachusetts and Public Service policy. If they see fit to close down the venue and disallow racing, we have no options but to comply.