WOD for Monday, March 20th 2012 presented by Gaspari Nutrition
~By James Villepigue CSCS & Hobie Call
The Burst Bouts Challenge
Today’s WOD is a killer combo of 5 total exercises – There are two resistance training exercise Bursts, 2 cardio/core exercise Bursts and one isometric core stabilizer Burst, which is purposely placed smack in the middle of the Bout.
Our objective here is to see how many repetitions you can perform in 50 seconds time. You will have 10 seconds to transition from one exercise to the next and you will perform a total of 3 Bouts/Rounds of the 5 exercises.
We recommend using the Gym Boss timer or perhaps a free smart phone app to help keep tabs on your 50/10 Work-To-Rest ratio. If you don’t have an interval timer, either get one or have someone keep tabs on time for you.
This training protocol is a great way to test your strength, cardio and muscle endurance.
Set Your Gym Boss To A 50 Second Work Interval & A 10 Second Rest Interval – Perform A Total Of 3 Bouts:
1. How many pushups in 50 seconds
2. How many chin-ups can your perform in 50 seconds? If you can’t perform the chin-up swap out for dumbbell biceps – How many in 50 seconds – Men use 30lb DB’s/Women 15lbs
3. Hold the Plank position for 50 seconds
4. How many Burpees in 50 seconds
5. How many Abdominal Bicycles in 50 seconds
6. Take 1 minute rest before performing the next Bout
I just went through my own Burst Bouts Challenge and did about 60 Pushups, 40 Biceps Curls, 26 Burpees and 55 Bicycles. I wasn’t particularly happy with my personal results, but I am determined to improve over the next two weeks.
With a 3 minute cool down, which consists of walk with knees high and over/under arm swings, 3 Bouts gives you an immensely intense 20-minute Burst Bouts workout!
Please leave us a comment and tell us how you did.
James Villepigue & Hobie Call